Sunday, June 21, 2009

Errand of Angels

I recently saw Errand of Angels, a fairly-new LDS movie which tells the fictional story of a sister missionary in Austria. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good movie. But there were some things I didn't particularly like.

What I did like:
  • The independence of the sister missionaries from men. There were no elders or mission presidents that had to save the day. The only mentionings of males in the mission field were when the mission president sent a letter to the set of sister missionaries congratulating them, and an elder baptizing someone. Other than that, the sister missionaries were portrayed as strong-minded, capable, and independent.
  • The scenery. Seriously, I want to go to Austria now.
  • Character development. I always like movies that make me hate one of the characters at one point, then love them at another.
What I didn't like:
  • The one sister missionary that was portrayed as bossy and lazy was overweight, wore no make up, and dressed like a grandma. The "nice" sister missionaries where thin, dressed fashionably, and always had their make up and hair done.
  • In every other missionary movie, there's always one elder whose plot line includes a girlfriend back home. Why did none of the sister missionaries talk about a boyfriend back home?

I thought it was a pretty good movie, worth seeing, but reinforces LDS cultural gender stereotypes a little too much.

I give it a B.

1 comment:

Marco Brown said...

Regarding the following line:

"The one sister missionary that was portrayed as bossy and lazy was overweight, wore no make up, and dressed like a grandma. The "nice" sister missionaries where thin, dressed fashionably, and always had their make up and hair done."

Sometimes actually movies reflect reality. Bossy, lazy sisters on my mission were usually overweight and wore jumpers every day, and wore negligible makeup. Sad, but true.

I'm glad the movie showed sisters as capable and independent. Most of them are. And that's why they, on the whole, make great companions and mothers.