- When we say we don't have any appointments available until a specific date, that's what we mean. We don't mean that an appointment will magically show up today if you ask us a million times.
- We are receptionists. We are not doctors. We are not nurses. If you have a medical question, either make an appointment or ask to speak with a nurse.
- We try to be as nice and accomidating as humanly possible, but we don't want to convenience you to the point of us getting in trouble.
- Sometimes doctors run behind. Sorry, but they do. All we can do is ask the nurse if the computers aren't connecting or if the doctor is actually behind. There's nothing else we can do.
- When you miss your appointment and don't bother to call and cancel, that's a spot where we could have put someone else. Thanks for being considerate.
- Don't talk to us like we're stupid. Don't lie to us and expect us to believe it either.
- We understand being sick sucks, and not being able to get in to see a doctor for a few days sucks too, but please don't take it out on us. We do the best we can, and it's a pretty crappy feeling when someone gets angry at you for something completely out of your control.
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Things to keep in mind when speaking with a medical receptionist
After working in 2 seperate medical clinics as a receptionist for almost a year, I've decided to compile a list of things that patients do that annoy the crap out of us (or me, at least).